Monday 6 February 2012

That's not my God

How does God deal with sinners? Now I am not trying to be condemnatory of anyone, but this is everyone, because the bible makes it clear that we are all sinners, it is part of who we are. So how does God deal with sinners?

Well, of course, he forgives us.That is the starting point, I accept, but I am afraid that is not my God. It is great that God forgives me, don't misunderstand, but that gets me nowhere, because I keep sinning, again and again, and keep coming back for forgiveness. It makes no difference if the forgiveness makes no real change to me. Yes I really like the fact that God forgives me, but actually, it is nothing.

Ah, of course, God forgives us and gives us a new start. Sorry to sound ungrateful, but that's not my God. Now it is great that God forgives me, wipes the slate clean, and gives me a new start. Sadly, most other people are not so generous. In the world that I live in, I don't get a new start. If your "sin" - or failing to live up to the expected standards - means that you are pregnant, then there is not "new start", because you are still pregnant. If your failure to live up to expected standards means that you are permanantly injured, then you stay injured.

What is more, of course, people don't forgive you. You are still injured, damaged, and often you still get the prejudice or stigma that it involves. When I am forgiven and given a new start by God, I still have to live with the results of whatever I have done. You see, it is not really a new start - it is not a complete re-beginning wiping everything that has happened before. It is a re-start, or a re-vitalising.

Hang on, aren;t we promised that we are "born again"? Well yes, but that is what I mean. It is a rebirth in the spirit, and I am renewed from inside, as a new, spiritually refreshed person. Who is, nonetheless, still broken, sinful, damaged. And as far as other people see, I still have that damage. I love being born again, but I would also like to start again without the baggage from the past.

So what does God actually do? The most exciting and wonderful thing is that God accepts me. The forgiveness, the new birth, are wonderful to have. But the astounding thing is that even as a sinner, even as a broken perons, even as a damaged individual, God accepts me.

All I now need is for people too as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment