Tuesday 11 June 2013

Turning Fifty

Later this week I will be hitting my fiftieth birthday. Because I am away on holiday at the time, I have had some of my presents early. One of my friends has given me a free magazine entitled "50+ magazine". As a bit of fun, I should point out, not seriously, for which I am grateful.

The image this magazine paints of life after fifty is about looking back on past life, going on coach tours, buying orthopedic furniture, looking at care homes and planning for my funeral.

I am also aware that I will be eligible for Saga, something that I may well consider if they can get me cheaper car insurance, but nothing else. The idea of being part of the Saga generation is one that fills me with horror.

In fact, as a whole, the idea that this whole image might be appropriate for me is something that fills me with dread, because I am not that old really. In fact, I will be spending my birthday in Spain at the Sonar modern music festival - headliners Kraftwerk, possibly followed by being up all night watching other performances.

That is my idea of how to spend my fiftieth birthday.

I think we sometimes categorise people by age far more that makes sense. I am well aware that I will probably be twenty years or more older than the average age of attendees. But that is far closer to my culture than Saga - I like my music, and I like it loud and banging.

It seems that the church is as bad - maybe worse - at this age typecasting. "We need to do something for the youth", or " we need to provide a club for the pensioners" The truth is that this sort of classification is as wrong as when someone is classified by being "male" or "female", by skin colour, sexuality, whatever.

Classifying people is wrong, partly because it seeks to define people - "old people need xxx", "gay people need yyy" - but mostly because these categories are wrong. There may well be people who are 50 who wish to consider orthopedic furniture. As for me, I will be partying all night on my birthday.


Happy 50th!

No comments:

Post a Comment