Tuesday 20 May 2014

Why I am not an "Evangelical"

This post is the other side of my post on why I do call myself an evangelical. I am aware that for some people the term is perceived very negatively, so I want to put the balance in here by exploring why I don't necessarily fit into what others would use this term for.

The problem is that in some areas, especially the US, the term "evangelical" is a synonym for "fundamentalist", and that terms itself is becoming more and more extreme. So for some, to call myself an evangelical is to be associated with the more extreme aspects of Christianity, something that I reject repeatedly. I know that anyone who reads what I write will realise where I actually stand, but many do not get past the label.

Because of that, there are times when I do not use the label.

However, I am not prepared to leave the term to those who would abuse it. As I have explained here, I still consider myself, theologically, to be evangelical, and for those who come from this background, from a position where the centrality of the bible is critical, I want to identify a form of evangelicalism that does not reflect these more extreme positions.

I will not give up on the term, on calling myself an evangelical, because for some people, it still means something. It still represents the core beliefs that some people hold. I will not let go, because I will not let others define what they should believe. I am not saying that I have it all right, but I believe a Bible-centred, people-focused, open and tolerant Christian faith is as valid today as ever.

And the reason I am so passionate about this is that for many who identify as evangelical, but struggle with the direction and the identification that is associated with the term, they see two options:

1) To accept that other are right, and that this less tolerant approach is the only valid one.
2) Reject Christianity entirely.

I want to make it clear that there is another direction - to remain as an evangelical Christian, but reject the direction that too much of it is taken. That is a valid route, to remain a Christian, to retain the beliefs that you have, and yet find a new direction to take.

And those who seek to say what I should believe can take a hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment